Monday, November 29, 2010

Good Gracious!

Nothing makes me cringe more than bad makeup. What's considered bad? It's when you see a woman made up and you do a double-take because you can't believe she walked out of her house that way thinking it looked good. Granted I do accept that artistic creativity can sometimes play a role in wanting to "stand out" from the crowd, but if your makeup is so distracting that people are giggling or whipping out their camera phones to take a picture, see that as a sign to tone it down!

I was standing in line at Starbucks this morning to get my hot chocolate with a pump of peppermint syrup and among the the usual crowd there was a "which-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-others" standing two people in front of me. She casually turned around and glanced my way and I was a deer in headlights. Her makeup was atrocious and I am being kind when I say that. I looked around to see if there were hidden cameras to capture peoples reactions because it was THAT bad. Her clothes were completely normal, but her makeup looked like she lost a bet, did it in the dark, while color blind and without a mirror.

Without the given opportunity to disperse my makeup advice (by being asked!), I kept my glossed lips zipped and waited patiently for my hot chocolate while positioning myself to get a better look. Good gracious she needed my help! I tried to think of an opening to start a conversation with her while we waited on or orders, so I found something I could compliment her on, her attache case, and jumped in hoping she'd take the bait:

Me: "Morning. What a great bag, is it calf-skin?"
Woman: "Good Morning. It's actually treated leather"
Darn....that didn't work. What was I thinking, I need to talk about makeup!

Me: "This weather is so unpredictable. I'm wearing chapstick under my gloss so my lips don't dry out" (hey don't laugh, I only had a moment to engage her!)
Woman: "Oh I know what you mean. My skin and hair get so dry in the winter".

Double darn, that didn't work! Usually I find an opening to exchange beauty tips or advice with women in any situation. I know it might sound weird but it happens all the time. She got her order, wished me a good day and walked away. I looked at my watch to remember the time and felt it was now my obligation to hopefully run into her again and at the same time tomorrow to try and pick up where we left off. I can't let an otherwise attractive woman with no makeup sense continue to walk around looking like a clown's "before" photo.

I promise you if I could have taken a photo of her to post I would have, so in the matter of photo-shop fun, here is my rendition of what the woman looked like.
See what bad makeup on an otherwise pretty face can do???